About General Assembly
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
Our Web Development Immersive course is a life-changing educational experience where our students learn the skills and mindsets to take on new careers as web developers. We are looking for an instructor with strong web experience to impact students' careers and lives by facilitating innovative and original thought in the classroom, motivating students to tackle challenging problems, and providing tips and tricks for them to become great developers.
Why teach our Web Development Immersive?
If you are looking to make a life-changing impact by sharing your love for software development with the next generation of developers, we’d love for you to consider joining our team. We deliver more than just skills training, and are looking for teachers who share our vision for a community of lifelong learners pursuing work that they love.
Responsibilities and Duties
As a teacher for our flagship 12 week full-time web development program, you will join us on our downtown Toronto campus weekday afternoons (between 2-5 days per week, as student population requires) from 2:00pm to 6:00pm:
- Provide 1-1 support to students as they work on assignments and projects
- Provide verbal feedback on students’ work
- Lead small group review sessions and problem solving activities
- Help students solve set-up/installation issues (OS X and Linux)
- Work closely with co-instructors to ensure students are successful in this demanding course
- Become a better teacher, leader, and mentor as you learn from veteran instructors
- Inspire and support students as they identify their passions and drive their own continued learning beyond the curriculum
- Facilitate a safe, supportive, and energetic community that meets the various needs of your students
- Inspire students to persevere through the challenges of learning a new skill set
After a few cohorts spent becoming familiar with our course and students, we hope your role will grow to include more responsibilities such as delivering lessons and developing/improving curriculum materials.
What do we teach?
We continue to update our curriculum as the hiring environment changes, but today our course includes:
- Git and unix command-line
- HTML, CSS
- Unit testing
Required Skills and Qualifications
- You have at least 3 years of professional web development experience (due to regulations set by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, this requirement is not flexible)
- You are available at least 2 weekday afternoons (2pm - 6pm) per week
- You have experience teaching, tutoring, or mentoring (technical or otherwise)
- You are eager to shape the skills, minds, and careers of the newest generation of web developers
- You are eager to become a better teacher and learn from your colleagues
What it means to be part of the Adecco Group.
For over 50 years, we’ve helped connect thousands of people from all different backgrounds and cultures with employment opportunities across the world. We provide leading HR services and solutions, powering the world of work that not only gives our clients a more personalised experience, but also gives our colleagues a sense of purpose and value in the work they do with us. Being a part of our international group means being part of a community that drives each other to be their best. You’ll do work that challenges the lives of our clients. You’ll be a part of a spirited and professional network of people who believe in what we’re doing. And, you’ll believe in it too.