Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
We are looking for instructors:
Why teach our Software Engineering Immersive?
If you are looking to make a life-changing impact by sharing your love for software development with the next generation of developers, we’d love for you to consider joining our team. We deliver more than just skills training, and are looking for teachers who share our vision for a community of lifelong learners pursuing work that they love. As a full-time teacher for our flagship full-time web development program, you will join us on one of our many campuses to:
- Guide students through a rigorous, transformational journey towards apprenticeship in software development.
- Become a better leader, and mentor as you learn from veteran instructors and our world-class instructional coaches.
- Inspire and support students as they identify their passions and drive their own continued learning beyond the curriculum.
- Adapt our global curriculum and use it to guide your teaching, building your own lesson plans as needed and contributing back your lessons learned over time.
- Facilitate a safe, supportive, and energetic community that welcomes the various needs and learning styles of your students.
What do we teach?
We give students the chance to spend focused time building at least 4 major projects, in addition to other smaller projects and labs. About 20% of overall class time is spent on dedicated project work.
- A strong presenter: You’re effective in a variety of formal presentation settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, and with peers. You’re comfortable providing 1:1 and whole class support in person.
- Good at motivating others: You create a climate in which people feel empowered and want to do their best; you can assess each person’s hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her. You are eager to shape the skills, minds, and trajectories of the newest generation of data scientists.
- An adept collaborator: You are able to collaborate remotely, with team members and managers in different locations. You can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all. You are seen as a team player who can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise.
- Action oriented: You enjoy working hard and confront challenges with enthusiasm. You can set goals, prioritize next steps to achieve them, and measure your success/impact.
- Able to learn on the fly: You are a quick, relentless and versatile learner who is open to change. You like to experiment and will try anything to find solutions.
Skills and Qualifications
- You are the person that your colleagues naturally gravitate to when they are trying to figure something out.
- You are eager to shape the skills, minds, and careers of the newest generation of web developers.
- Familiarity with Computer Science topics, such as: Recursion, Sorting, Search, Linked Lists, Stacks and queues, Sets, Trees, Search Tries, Graphs, Hash tables, and Design patterns
- You have working experience in both front-end and back-end development, and are fluent in
- HTML and CSS
- At least one JS MV* framework (Angular, Backbone, or React preferred)
- SQL databases (we generally use PosgreSQL)
- NoSQL (we generally cover MongoDB and Redis)
- At least one additional object-oriented language (Ruby or Python preferred)
Nice to haves:
- You are on top of industry trends
- Previous teaching experience (a course, workshop, team training, etc.)
- Experience coaching, managing or supporting more junior staff or students
- You have around 6 months of experience working on a software development team.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Collaborate with Global remote faculty to deliver full-time instruction 5 days a week, including teaching and student advising.
- Facilitate hands-on instruction on campus including labs sessions, discussion sessions, and 1:1/small group support.
- Foster a dynamic and collaborative classroom community that will inspire students to persevere through the challenges of learning complex subjects.
- Collaborate with your instructional team to plan instructional activities, plan discussion sections, plan labs, and determine how to best meet the needs and learning styles of all students.
- Provide students with 1:1 coaching and support throughout the course.
- Work closely with your instructional team to provide students with meaningful and prompt feedback on their progress.
- Guide students through the development of real-world projects that will showcase their abilities to hiring managers.
- Contribute to the material and direction of an expanding global curriculum, ensuring the course remains cutting-edge and effective for students worldwide.
- Directing Others
- Technical Skills
- Motivating Others
- Presentation Skills
- Time Management
- Managing Diversity
San Francisco, Remote: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Los Angeles, Remote: Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
What it means to be part of the Adecco Group.
For over 50 years, we’ve helped connect thousands of people from all different backgrounds and cultures with employment opportunities across the world. We provide leading HR services and solutions, powering the world of work that not only gives our clients a more personalised experience, but also gives our colleagues a sense of purpose and value in the work they do with us. Being a part of our international group means being part of a community that drives each other to be their best. You’ll do work that challenges the lives of our clients. You’ll be a part of a spirited and professional network of people who believe in what we’re doing. And, you’ll believe in it too.