About General Assembly:
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly, a global education company with a robust press presence and a social media following of 1M+ strong, is looking for a savvy, whip-smart manager to support the public relations and social media portfolios. Check out our recent press coverage here.
Working in close partnership with the Senior Director of External Affairs, this individual is responsible for supporting all efforts related to press and social media, working in close partnership with our marketing and content teams, as well as a highly effective third-party public relations agency, to elevate GA’s profile in the press and online.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with a demonstrated track record overseeing media relations and social media for a startup or midsized company, in-house or through an agency. Interested applicants should have best-in-class operational chops, a robust understanding of the media landscape, and a strategic mindset to elevate GA’s media profile.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (it can be anything, including something you wrote for someone else - we want to see how you express yourself on the page).
Here’s what the job entails:
- Work with GA leadership and agency partners to develop and implement a comprehensive media strategy to grow General Assembly’s online presence and brand visibility through press and social media channels.
- Work closely with our public relations firm to surface story ideas, develop pitches, draft contributed content, and support our CEO’s outreach to journalists.
- Collaborate with leaders across the business to identify potential news hooks and media moments that can result in press coverage or drive social media engagement.
- Advance GA’s contributed content and thought leadership strategy, supporting and advising the development of op-eds, white papers, and other content.
- Collaborate with B2B clients to develop plans and strategies for announcements, launches, and campaigns; interface and manage relationships with corporate communications leads at our clients.
- Manage General Assembly’s global social media accounts and oversee the design and implementation of major campaigns; supervise content creation for our Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Develop a strategy to increase user engagement across social media channels and grow engagement among our followers, students, and alumni.
- Maintain banks of GA data, case studies, and student profiles to pitch to journalists and tie to specific news pegs and media moments.
Here are some of the qualities and skills that we’re looking for:
- You have the vision to execute against a multi-pronged press and social media strategy, and the operational chops to seize a news moment through a media pitch or clapback on Twitter.
- You have a nose for a great story, and can quickly turn a new program, partnership, or initiative at GA into a compelling pitch, and you know the exact right reporter and outlet to send it to.
- You work fast and crank out content that’s consistently in our brand voice, and can easily write in the voices of leaders in the company.
- You’re a newshound, a pop culture junkie, and have an encyclopedic knowledge of the media landscape and the social media influencers shaping the narrative online.
- You follow the traditional and social media conversations in real time, while having a long-game vision to grow and deepen engagement amongst our network with data-driven benchmarks to demonstrate success.
- You have a razor-sharp sense of humor and a willingness to be provocative, but the judgment to catch yourself when you could be setting yourself up for trouble.
- You know the ins-and-outs of every social media channel, and can navigate the switches in tone and engagement approaches from Twitter to Facebook to LinkedIn without blinking.
- You love collaboration and are excited about the idea of teaming up with our marketing and content teams to create awesome campaigns to drive General Assembly’s growth.
- You want to work with bright, collegial people in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment where everything is always changing in real time.
- You care about education and the power that it has to transform lives and communities, and feel strong affinity for General Assembly’s mission and values.
We’re big believers that nothing can replace good instincts, smarts, hustle, a strong work ethic, a good attitude, and a sense of humor. With that said, candidates with the below experience will stand out:
- A background in journalism or public relations; experience working at an agency or in-house at a startup is a plus (ideally 3-5 years of experience).
- A track record of creating sharp, punchy copy in a brand-specific voice with flawless grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Experience building successful media and social campaigns raising awareness and driving engagement around a social issue, policy, product, or company.
- Experience managing social media channels – if you’ve done it for a consumer brand, all the better.
- Strong data analytics chops and experience leveraging data insights into actionable campaigns and strategies.
- Graphic design skills are a nice bonus.
What it means to be part of the Adecco Group.
For over 50 years, we’ve helped connect thousands of people from all different backgrounds and cultures with employment opportunities across the world. We provide leading HR services and solutions, powering the world of work that not only gives our clients a more personalised experience, but also gives our colleagues a sense of purpose and value in the work they do with us. Being a part of our international group means being part of a community that drives each other to be their best. You’ll do work that challenges the lives of our clients. You’ll be a part of a spirited and professional network of people who believe in what we’re doing. And, you’ll believe in it too.